(Trieste, 1885 – Gorizia, 1972)
Born in Trieste in 1885. Guido Marussig trained at Scuola Industriale Triestina, as he finished went to Venice to attend the Academy of Fine Arts thanks to a scholarship from Trieste City Council. In 1905 he participated in the Esposizione Internazionale d’Arte di Venezia, this was the first of several attending during his life. He was a Symbolist painter influenced by the work of the Vienna Secession, particularly the art of Gustav Klimt. He experimented with engraving techniques, woodcuts and etchings. He illustrated several issues of the magazine L’Eroica. After moved in Milan in 1916, he taught at the Scuola del Libro in Milan from 1918 to 1937.
In 1921 he participated in designing and decorating Gabriele D’Annunzio’s Vittoriale; Towards the end of the decade he became a member of the Novecento Italiano group, whose poetics also influenced later works such as the mosaic Justice Entering the Courtroom (1939) in the Palazzo di Giustizia in Milan. During last decades his paintings acquired an ever greater degree of geometric abstraction. He continued anyway to work as a set designer and to contribute to various art periodicals.